SEO is an important skill that every webmaster must learn. Without good knowledge on SEO, you will not know how to rank your website for competing keywords. To learn how to rank your site, you should start applying all the tips that you read from SEO blogs. From there, you will make mistakes and the most important thing is to learn from them. By learning from your SEO mistakes, you can gradually make progress to become a professional in SEO. There are 4 SEO areas you need to take into account to rank a website successfully including website structure, on-site optimization, content optimization, and off-site optimization.
- Organized Website Structure
Your website must be crawlable by the spider. It should not contain any obstacle that prevents the search engine from crawling it.
- Short dynamic URL is more likely for a search engine to crawl compared to a long version as it is more preferred by users. You also want to reduce the use of dynamic URL as not every search engine will crawl it. You should avoid using session IDs in URL as it makes the URL long.
- The robots text file can provide information for the spider on what webpage to crawl and what webpage to not crawl. You can use the allow and disallow syntax to allow/disallow indexing of everything or a certain file or folder on your site.
- Your site must be mobile friendly so that mobile visitors can also access your site.
- Your site should load within 2 seconds the visitors access it. To speed up your site, you can reduce the images and cache your content.
- If you are using a CMS, make sure it supports search engine friendly features such as SEO plugins, a large selection of free SEO themes, and regular updates on the platform.
- On Site Optimization
On-site SEO refers to any optimization that is carried out on the site. It is primarily for making your site user-friendly and maximizing user experience. A site that has high user-friendliness will get more regard in search engine ranking.
- Doing research on keywords can help you to understand more on the search intent of your prospective customers. You must weed out informational searches from searchers who aren’t interested in buying. The keyword should not only match what you want but it should also come from a potential customer.
- The URL must be descriptive so that the search engine can use the keywords in it to rank the page. Readable URL give hints to users on what page they are visiting.
- The title must be brief and optimized with a target keyword.
- You should add a unique meta description of 1 – 2 sentences for every post. The meta description should be written in an interesting way to generate clickthroughs. High clickthroughs (CTR) means your page has good information which Google render as good result and will rank it high.
- The content must be unique and informational. The heading and content along with the image title and alt text should be optimized with keywords.
- The site must have an organized navigation that allows users to reach the destination page within 4 clicks. A user-friendly navigation ensures that visitors can find what they want easily and make them more inclined to stay on your site longer.
- You can also add a call to action to get people to buy your product, for example, CTA button, dedicated pop-up or sign up form
- Content Optimization
The content must be relevant to the product offerings, and provide helpful insights for the customers. If you are selling a product/service, you must describe them clearly so that people know what you are offering. You can also publish the benefits of your product and why people should buy it. Besides, you can also provide some tips in the niche related to your products.
- Off Site SEO Optimization
The fourth part is off-site SEO – off-site SEO refers to optimization performed outside the boundary of the site. The most important part of off-site SEO is link building. The backlink to your site is a gauge of how quality your content is which makes people want to point a reference link from their sites. Having a high number of backlinks from sites with high authority can help you to achieve a higher ranking. The key to getting backlinks is to create a compelling content that people want to reference on their sites. Another way to get backlink is to get a site with the high following on the social media to publish a review of your product/services.
In conclusion, SEO is not as complicated as it seems. Your website should slowly climb up to the top result if you correctly implement the four SEO areas that are being discussed. Finally, you must be patient as success in search engine ranking does not come overnight.